The gray dwarf hamster, gray hamster, or migratory hamster, scientific name Cricetulus migratorius is a species of a rodent within the family Cricetidae.
Grey Dwarf Hamster profile
Its range extends from Eastern Europe by the Middle East, Russia, and Central Asia to Mongolia and western China. The gray dwarf hamster has gray fur and a head-body size starting from 85 to 120 mm (3.3to 4.7 in).
The International Union for Conservation of Nature has assessed its conservation standing as being of “least concern”.
Dwarf hamsters are literally a number of tiny species of hamsters that are native primarily to abandon areas all over the world. These social little creatures differ from their bigger, more territorial cousins, thriving in pairs or small teams versus dwelling alone.
As pets, they’re typically docile and simple to deal with, in addition to enjoyable to look at as they tunnel and romp round of their enclosure. They’re additionally easy to look after, requiring a reasonably easy diet and regular cage cleaning.
The gray dwarf hamster has a head-and-body size of between 85 and 120 mm (3.3–4.7 in) and a well-furred tail about one-third as long as this. It weighs between 31 and 58 g (1.1–2.0 oz).
Its dental formulation is 126.96.36.199.0.3.3. It is a sandy brownish-grey coloration above with whitish underparts, the white hairs typically having grey bases. The ears are giant and the skull flattened with a slender rostrum.
Grey Dwarf Hamster Distribution
The gray dwarf hamster is present in components of Eastern Europe and Asia together with Afghanistan, Armenia, Bulgaria, China, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Moldova, Mongolia, Pakistan, Romania, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
It has been recorded from Greece however has not been seen there since about 1970. It principally lives above 1,000 m (3,300 ft) and within the Pamir Mountains has been recorded at altitudes of as much as 4,300 m (14,100 ft).
It initially inhabited dry grasslands, arid steppes, and semi-deserts, but it surely has unfolded into cultivated land and gardens, and even typically into buildings. It avoids moist places, dense woodland, and forests and is most typical in sparsely-vegetated areas.
Grey Dwarf Hamster Behavior
The gray dwarf hamster is energetic at nightfall and at night. It digs a deep burrow complicated that will lengthen 150 cm (59 in) beneath the floor of the ground and which incorporates facet passages, a number of nesting areas and chambers to retail meals to be used in winter.
It forages for roots, the green components of crops and seeds, and likewise eats bugs. It doesn’t hibernate, breeding going down in the course of the summer, with as much as three litters being produced yearly. Litter size is normally six or seven, however, ranges from one to 13.
Dwarf hamsters comprise many species, and everyone has some particular personality traits.1 For occasion, the Campbell hamster is a curious little creature that is notably straightforward to deal with.
The Robo (or Roborovski) hamster—a very tiny dwarf hamster that weighs in at simply over 3/4 ounce—stays awake in the course of the day more than different species.
And the Chinese hamster (not technically a dwarf species however simply as small) is understood for its love of tunneling, particularly by its bedding. Overall, dwarf hamsters make for fascinating and low-maintenance pets.
They could not essentially type a robust bond with their people as a dog or cat would, however, they’ll be taught to acknowledge you and are available to the facet of their enclosure if you’re close by (particularly when you have a deal with them).
All hamsters are nocturnal, which means they play and eat in the course of the night and relaxation in the course of the day, although some hamsters can modify their homeowners’ sleeping and waking instances.
However, if you happen to attempt to wake a sleeping hamster to deal with it, the hamster would possibly turn out to be grouchy and chunk. In common, many hamsters will wake within the night hours and fortunately work together with their people then.
Moreover, whereas hamsters make very smooth and minimal vocalizations themselves, their motion in the course of the nighttime may be a difficulty if you’re making an attempt to sleep.2 If you are a light sleeper, you in all probability should not hold your hamster enclosure in your bedroom.
Most dwarf hamsters take effectively to people holding them, however, they’ll nip in the event that they really feel uncomfortable. Calm, mild dealing with from a younger age may also help them to really feel protected when held.3 It’s greatest to take a seat on the ground in a secured area (akin to a small bedroom with the door shut) when holding your hamster, as these animals can transfer fairly rapidly and would possibly break free from your maintain if you’re not paying consideration.
You do not ever need your hamster to drop from a great height—even a pair of feet is so much for them—as this will severely injure the little animal. It’s additionally vital by no means to squeeze your hamster in your fingers, as this may end up in damage for the animal or trigger it to chunk you. Plus, hold your dwarf hamster away from another pet’s exterior of its personal species to stop accidents.
Other Recommended Reading
- Colombian Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Description
- Indonesian Mountain Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Diet
- Yellow-Bellied Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Ecology
- Back-Striped Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Behavior | Diet
- Saharan Striped Polecat – Profile | Facts | Traits | Behavior
- Giant Panda – Profile | Traits | Facts | Cute | Body | Zoo | Habitat
- Beech Marten – Profile | Traits | Facts | Size | Track | Baby
- Wild Boar – Profile | Traits | Facts | Characteristics | Size | Diet
- Large White Pig – Profile | Characteristics | Facts | Lifespan | Diet
- Duroc Pig – Description | Profile | Traits | Facts | Breeds | Size
- Berkshire Pig – Profile | Characteristics | Facts | Ears | Breeds
- Eurasian Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Skull | Food | Feet | Face
- Myocastor Coypus – Coypu | Profile | Traits | Facts | Skull | Diet
- Eurasian Beaver – Profile | Traits | Facts | Food | Habitat | Teeth
- North American River Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Habitat | Size
- Marine Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Size | Range | Habitat | Food
- Smooth-Coated Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Swimming | Cute
- Neotropical Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Baby | Pup | River
- African Clawless Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Baby | Habitat | Pet
- Southern River Otter – Profile | Traits | Facts | Diet | Baby | Behavior
Grey Dwarf Hamster Diet
A bowl of meals and a small dish or bottle of contemporary water ought to all the time be out there to your pet dwarf hamster. Consult your veterinarian on the right amount to feed.
But typically, you need to feed your hamster as soon as per day, ideally within the night when it is waking up and changing into energetic. Discard any uneaten meals after 24 hours.
Look for an industrial hamster meal mix that is particularly formulated for dwarf hamsters.1 This will present your hamster with all of the nutritional vitamins and minerals it wants.
You can even provide restricted quantities of sure nuts, seeds, grains, fruits, and greens, together with oats, bananas, and carrots. Supplemental meals ought to solely make up around 10% of your hamster’s general daily diet.
Keep sugary and high-fat meals to a minimum and keep away from poisonous meals: almonds, avocados, and chocolate.
Grey Dwarf Hamster Housing
Hamsters acclimate effectively to average family temperatures, to not exceed 80°F; be cautious of utmost temperature adjustments. The habitat ought to by no means be in direct daylight or in a drafty space.
Habitat ought to be plastic, metal, or glass and escape-proof with a strong backside; there ought to be loads of room for the hamster to train and play. It is greatest to supply the most important habitat possible.
1-2″ of bedding ought to be positioned within the habitat; correct bedding contains high-quality paper bedding, crumbled paper bedding, or hardwood shavings. Cedar-based merchandise is usually not really useful.
Hamsters are solitary animals, but dwarf hamsters could also be stored in same-sex pairs if they’re raised collectively; in any other case, hold adult hamsters housed individually. Different forms of small animals shouldn’t be housed collectively.
Other Recommended Reading
- Striped Polecat – Profile | Traits | Facts | Pet | Poop | Baby | Range
- Red Panda – Behavior | Profile | Traits | Facts | Baby | Cute | Range
- Malayan Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Range | Habitat | Size
- Asian Badger – Profile | Traits | Facts | Behavior | Diet | Range
- Nilgiri Marten – Animal | Profile | Traits | Facts | Baby | Cute
- Indian Mongoose – Profile | Animal | Habitat | Traits | Distribution
- Collared Mongoose – Profile | Traits | Facts | Behavior | Range
- Burmese Ferret-Badger – Profile | Behavior | Traits | Facts | Range
- Javan Ferret-Badger – Profile | Traits | Facts | Range | Diet
- Vietnam Ferret-Badger – Profile | Traits | Facts | Behavior | Diet
- Patagonian Weasel – Profile | Traits | Facts | Behavior | Range
- Palawan Stink Badger – Profile | Physical Characteristics | Classification